I gave a talk yesterday at a Leadership CEO Forum and was excited to present PR and Social Media ideas to a room of executive women, who ran successful businesses – and invested in their growth. (I love that).
After the meeting and comments from the group, I was thinking of ways that entrepreneurs and experts could get noticed, without all kinds of fuss, muss and time restraints.
- Walk into a room with power. What I’m talking about here is exuding confidence. Knowing you’re the expert when you walk in to a room full of strangers. You’re well dressed, ready for action and prepared to share your knowledge.
- Spend time getting to know your group. Before any speaking gig or meeting, it’s always good to know the players. Ask for a list beforehand if it’s available and do some research on your own. That way, you have some background information and can ask intelligent questions and give thoughtful responses.
- Give without expectation. I often speak without getting paid because it opens the door to new circles and there’s so much possibility for potential business. Some might say, “Nah, you’re wasting your time.” If you’re doing something that you believe is getting you towards your goal, then go for it.
- Make time for Q + A privately, in person if possible. After a presentation, don’t schedule yourself so tightly that you don’t have room to breathe and have a chance to talk with attendees. I’m all for clustering a day of activities in the area I’m visiting, but there are hidden opportunities in NOT rushing. It took me a while to figure that out.
- See an opportunity? Act on it. I was on a tour yesterday of NewTV for an upcoming TV series and saw beautiful artwork on the wall. I commented on it and asked if they showcased artist’s work on a monthly basis. The answer was yes and it was a perfect opportunity for my client, Lidia Kenig-Scher to feature her paintings. Had I not popped my head in the Director of Marketing’s office and said hi, that never might have happened.
This list could go on with other PR and marketing opportunities to increase your brand awareness and visibility – with referral programs, highlighting influencers, news jacking, podcasting and more.
But we’re looking at easy tactics here, that don’t require hours of thought. They’re free publicity tactics that are worth their weight in gold.