As part of pushing past my comfort zone and experimenting with YouTube, I’m creating a series of videos on How to Market Your Small Business on a Dime.
They’re intended to be short and provide insight on a particular PR or Marketing strategy that’s either free or cost effective.
Here’s a YouTube video about the importance of blogging for anyone who wants to be a small business marketing expert. Blogging allows you to be the media and speak in your own voice. It’s a PR and marketing tool to gain credibility, build your reputation and increase leadership position so you can sell more products and services.
As a small business marketing expert and PR mentor, here’s how I recommend you start blogging:
- Think of topics, questions and problems your target audience wants to know about.
- What keeps them up at 3am? What do they need to know? How can you help them solve their problems?
- Start a swipe file where you can collect your ideas, other’s emails, blogs, articles, quotes or graphics for inspiration. Some people call this a folder. It can be both physical and digital.
- The more you write the better you’ll be. Not sure how your blog post sounds? Read it out loud to check that’s it has a conversational tone. Think about writing to your best friend or best customer.
- Own your URL or website name. You can post your blog there, plus you can buy another URL specific to the blog’s topic. You can also buy several keyword phrases and direct all traffic to one site.
If you want to learn more about blogging or are just starting out, check out WordPress.com
and the free blogging and website platforms there. They’re user-friendly, mobile ready and customizable.
Looking to see if a URL is available? For fast results, I like GoDaddy. You may be eligible for a 99-cent deal too if you enter via Google.
Want the insider scoop on social media marketing? Read the blogs and articles from SocialExaminer. They also have a podcast for information on the go.
Another great site to get all kinds of tips and tools for bloggers who want useful customizable templates is CoSchedule. You’ll find tons of free information about marketing online there.
Lastly, Neil Patel is an online wiz and a world renown marketing expert. Learn from this master at NeilPatel.
Blog to get authority and increase your visibility. And, try to write at least once a week if you can. Every inspired action you take to build your brand, also builds your like, know and trust factor. You need that to make sales.
For other videos about small business marketing and PR, check out my YouTube channel. I’ll be posting as frequently as I can!