Traveling across the country as a consultant, mentor, student and friend, has taught me to be a great observer and naturally notice fellow business warriors (or angels) who have a certain air about them — call it their personal brand or executive presence. You might think first class travelers always have it — but that’s not necessarily so. It’s a confident aura or energy that can be spotted across a crowded room.
Studies show that executive presence plays a key role in career advancement – how you present yourself to the world that you’re leadership material. Typically it’s based on how you look, how you speak, and how you behave.
Want to know if you’ve got it?
Here are 7 Signs of Executive Presence:
- Look attractive, but not sexy. Sexy is a feeling and attitude. Save sexy for after work, and out of your business inner circle.
- Learn the rules of engagement. Speak with intention, make your messages brief and to the point. Pay attention in meetings– texting and checking emails is often disrespectful.
- Develop grace under fire. Stay calm and be less reactive. Be honest with yourself. What pushes your buttons?
- Be able to size up a room, quickly. Who are the people you need to meet and connect with?
- How’s your Emotional IQ? Are you sensitive to what others need? Do you take time to listen, really listen those you interact with, in business and in the community?
- Are you a visionary? A leader needs to see a bigger picture, and have a plan so others will follow.
- Does your reputation help you, or hinder your personal brand. Everything you and others see or hear about you — reflects your reputation. You’ve just got one, so protect it.
Of course, being a tad sophisticated, confident, polished and having a sense of humor would also be included in the bucket of ‘executive presence’. Add to that being authentic, having charisma and being physically fit — not ripped, just healthy.
Like sexiness, executive presence is an attitude. A way that you hold and respect yourself.
You’ve worked so hard to get where you are. Flaunt it, in your own special way.